Monday, January 7, 2008

What is Holiness? Part 1



WELCOME BACK EVERYONE! I don't know about you but there is something refreshing and a bit overwhelming about starting a new year. I love that it is a new beginning. I love that I clean out drawers...make new resolutions and get rid of some old stuff. But, at the same time it gets a bit overwhelming. Are you the same way? Have you already failed at a new year's resolution?
We returned January 3 from a week in Colorado. 10 suitcases had to be packed BUT even worse...10 had to be unpacked! Ski jackets had to be washed, ski pants, thermal underwear...(I have to say those of you who may live in cold climates, I don't know how you do it...I was exhausted just getting dressed!) Anyway...all that is now done...suitcases are back in storage, clothes are all neatly stored or back in drawers and it does feel like a new start.

This year, however, I have decided NOT to have any new year resolutions except one. I believe if I can pursue this one it will change my life. I am going to "pursue" holiness...

1 Peter 1:15-16 says "But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
Ephesians 1:4 says "He chose us in Him...to be holy and blameless in His sight"

The Greek word for Holy is HAIGOS it means "set apart, sanctified, consecrated. It has a common root HAG-, with HAGNOS which means chase and pure. Its fundamental idea is separation, consecration, devotion to the service of God, sharing in God's purity and abstaining from earth's defilement." Greek Word Study Bible.

This seems like a daunting task...something I can not attain. And that is true...on my own I CAN NOT...but I am "In Christ" and God would never call us to be holy unless that was already attained through Christ. Did you see that?...it is already fullfiled in Christ. It is not as if I have to work my way towards Holiness...I have the fullness of it in Christ. What I must strive for is appropriating His holiness. Louis Sperry Shafer puts it this way, "It is not a matter of acquiring more of the Spirit, but rather the Spirit of God acquiring more of the individual" I must live and submit ALL of me to the powerful influence of His Spirit...That is how I must live...that is holiness.

So my new year's resolution is to yield more of my thoughts, desires, values, motives, goals, priorities and everything else to His ways, His thoughts, priorities etc.

Can I do this? YES! In Christ all of God's promises are Yes!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a little survey :
I would like to know what you would like to focus on next. Please let me know the subject you are interested in ...
Parenting:
1-Disciple for small children.
2-Discipline for teens
3-Devotions time with kids
4-Teaching and modeling purity to our girls
5-Protecting our boys from worldly lust
Women:
1-Proverbs 31 Woman
2-Godly friendships
3-Home missions
E-mail your pick to girlschat@gmail.com



No comments: