Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Feminism and the honor of working at home

In Carolyn Mahaney's book she begins the topic of "home-making" with a warning for us. She says that once (not to long ago) being a wife, raising children and keeping a home were the most natural things to do. Then she goes on to say
"But all that has changed. Women today are perplexed and uncertain...much of this confusion is a direct result of the feminist theology. "
This week I have taken the time to look back and see how the feminist movement got started. It was very eye-opening. I grew-up in it and I remember the mantra "I am woman hear me roar." I thought "No more dishes for me...I am making my way in the world...make a name for myself."
Now, I have come to understand what harm and hurt it has brought. I myself was caught in the "movement" for many years.
Here are some quotes from the movement, I thought you would find insightful:
--"The Declaration of Feminism goes back to November of 1971 when they laid out their agenda and this is what it says, quote: "The end of the institution of marriage is necessary for the liberation of women. Therefore, it is important for us to encourage women to leave their husbands and not live individually with men. All of history must be rewritten in terms of oppression of women. We must go back to ancient female religions like witchcraft"
--"Annie Laurie Gayler writing an article called "Feminist salvation" in the Humanist in 1988 says, quote: "Let's forget about the mythical Jesus and look for encouragement, solace, and inspiration from real women. Two thousand years of patriarchal rule under the shadow of the cross ought to be enough to turn women toward the feminist's salvation of the world"
--"Dr. Mary Jo Bain, feminist, assistant professor of education at Wellesly College and the associate director of the School Center for Research on Women writes, quote: "In order to raise children with equality, we must take them away from families and communally raise them"
Does that sound familiar? Remember "It takes a village to raise a child" ?

Some of these thoughts bring shivers to my mind and heart.
This look at their underlying theology is scary, but even more is that we have bought into it. Yes the very thought of freedom and equality sound like the heart of the gospel...but it is a false gospel. Carolyn tells us :
"Feminism has failed to deliver as advertised. Yet feminist philosophy has become thoroughly integrated into the values of mainstream society--so much so that it has been absorbed and applied by the majority of women, some who don't even consider themselves as feminist."

Can I ask you to consider what are your views on feminism? Have you found yourself in a battle ground that you are loosing? Over and over I hear of women who are struggling with family, work, home and so many other demands.
Tomorrow we can look at what God's Word has to say...

"All Scripture is God-Breathed and is useful for teaching, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work"
2 Tim 3:16
Let me know your thoughts: girlschat@gmail.com

(Feminist quotes taken from a sermon by John MacArthur)

No comments: