Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Marriage a vocation?

I usually don't post on Tuesdays...but I was reading yesterday and knowing we were coming to the end of our discussion on "Loving our husbands" I thought I would write a final thought....(not that we by any means have finished figuring out how to delight in loving our husbands)

Have you ever thought marriage was your vocation? I know we hear "I am a full-time mom or homemaker etc"
Elizabeth Elliot in her book "Let me be a Woman" writes it better than I could...
"Marriage is a vocation. It is a task to which you are called. It is a task, it means you work at it (and may I add work HARD) It is not something which happens. You hear the call, you answer, you accept the task, you enter into it willingly and eagerly, you commit yourself to its disciplines and responsibilities and limitations and privileges and joys. You concentrate on it, giving yourself to it day after day in a lifelong Yes. Having said yes to the man who asked you to marry him you go on saying yes to marriage" italics mine.

We must remember that every task requires faith. God who has called us to this task will help us. He will not leave us but will grow our faith through marriage.
Romans tells us "The just shall live by faith" this has to be our banner...our cry.

The great promise from God comes to its fullest and most glorious realization as our marriages grow stronger, as we love deeper and give ourselves daily

"to HIM who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with GREAT JOY" Jude 24-25

No comments: