Monday, March 17, 2008

The Lord's Prayer...keep from temptation

We are making our way through Bryan Chapell's book "Praying Backwards". One of the first thoughts that impressed me is his instruction was that if we put the person of Jesus Christ first in our prayers there is change in our heart, mind and even petitions. As we focus on Christ...His power, compassion, love and truth ignite a fervency for His glory in our lives and diminish a self-seeking approach to prayer.
In his section sub-titled "Keep from temptation" he explains why we ask God for our "daily bread" and he uses Solomon's petitions to provide great insight why our dependency on His provision daily (sometimes minute by minute) is a way to keep us from the temptation to become self-sufficient:
"Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. OTHERWISE, I may have too much and disown you and say 'Who is the Lord?' or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor the name of my God" Proverbs 30:8-9.
Here is the divine balance we seek from God...don't give me to much or too little for in both of these I will turn away from you and be satisfied in my own efforts. Temptation to sin can come when you have too much or even to little. So therefore, the request to give "us our daily bread" establishes our need to be dependant not just for bread but for Him every day.

"Thus the prayer for daily bread naturally flows into the petition 'Lead us not into temptation' . By granting the earlier petition, God provides the means to fulfill the latter one. And in combination , both petitions guard the spiritual health of believers and orient their lives toward fulfilling God's will.
Jesus does not pray with the expectation that God would ever tempt us. The Bible teaches 'When tempted, no one should say 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone. (James 1:13) Instead we we are tempted when selfish priorities and evil desires cause us to forsake the will of God. (v14) The trials God uses to build up our faith, Satan tries to hijack and use as temptation to tear down our spiritual commitment. In this sense, the very same circumstance can be a nurturing instrument from God's heart and a injurious temptation in Satan's hand. Ultimately, the key to whether a circumstance is a trial or a temptation is not found in its features but in our heart. The Lord's prayer teaches us to pray that God, who knows the capabilities of our heart, would keep us from anything that satan could use to overpower our ability to do God's will." (page 42)

What a great admonition to us...that God would keep us from being to satisfied in our own efforts because in that position or thought is the very temptation to dishonor Him. If ever we think "I will do" or "I will accomplish this" or even "I will take this" apart from God's provision, we dishonor Him and place ourselves in a position to be tempted by satan.
Is there an area in you life where you are talking to yourself this way? Are you taking before it is given? Have we have become so self-sufficient that we no longer see God's grace? Remember that one sin is what cause satan to be cast out of heaven ....
Isaiah 14: 12-15
How you have fallen from heaven
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to earth
you who one laid low the nations!
You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly
on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.
I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.
But you where brought down to the grave
to the depths of the pit."
------------------------------
Pray for humility.... that is when Christ is most exalted. Be satisfied in Him and He will give you the desires of your heart because they are His.

No comments: