Monday, February 4, 2008

THE VALLEY OF VISION : A COLLECTION OF PURITAN PRAYERS AND DEVOTIONS

If you have never heard of the Puritans, let me encourage you to get to know who they were...here is just a sample of their God-glorifying thoughts and perspective from the Book : "The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions"
I highly recommend it.

"The Gift of Gifts

O SOURCE OF ALL GOOD,
What shall I render thee for the gift of gifts,
Thine own dear Son, begotten, not created
My redeemer, proxy, surety, substitute
His self-emptying incomprehensible
His infinity of love beyond the heart's grasp.
Herein is wonder of wonders:
He came below to raise me above
Was born like me that I might become like him.

Herein is love:
When I cannot rise to him he draws near on wings on grace
To raise me to himself.

Herein is power:
When Deity and humanity were infinitely apart
He united them in indissoluble unity, the uncreated and the created

Herein is wisdom;
When I was undone, with no will to return to him,
And no intellect to devise recovery,
He came, God-incarnate, to save me to the uttermost,
As man to die my death
To shed satisfying blood on my behalf,
To work out a perfect righteousness for me.

O God, take me in spirit to watchful shepherds,
and enlarge my mind;
Let me hear good tidings of great joy,
And hearing, believe, rejoice, praise, adore,
My conscience bathed in an ocean of repose,
My eyes lifted to a reconciled Father;
Place me with ox, donkey, camel, goat,
To look with them upon my redeemer's face,
And in him account myself delivered from sin;
Let me with Simeon clasp the new-born child to my heart,
Embrace him with undying faith,
Exulting that he is mine and I am his.
In him thou hast given me so much that heaven can give no more"

No comments: