Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Making decisions


Making decisions can at times be daunting. This past week I have sought God for wisdom regarding a decision I had to make. As I wrestled with God and my own ideas and emotions it became painfully aware to me, that God gives wisdom to His children. God does not like confusion…He is a God of order and revelation NOT chaos and NOT concealment. His delight is to show Himself to us. Now there are great mysteries about God that He reserves the right to conceal but in regards to our lives He loves showing us the way.
What happens to us is that we hear too many other “voices” and do not have the “ear” to hear His distinct voice.
How does God give wisdom when we are asking for a specific direction? How can we confidently and joyously discern God’s will for our lives? How does God answer our plea for direction?

I have found in the past years three “lighthouses” as I have heard them called. I have come to seek direction by looking for the “lighthouses” There are three distinct ways that light up the way to go. I hope you find these encouraging and maybe even timely…

First: I have to begin with my view and understanding of who God is. He is sovereign. That means He is independent…He rules over His creation…He not only oversees it but actually purposes events so that His Glory may be displayed. There is nothing in my life or yours that God has missed and is playing catch-up! So because He is sovereign and purposeful, I can begin to look at circumstances around me as in His total control. I gain insight as I observe patterns in my life with the perspective that God is at work. I glean from my children…their conversations…my husband and his countenance, his demeanor. I watch situations that are totally out of my control and wonder is this a clearing to walk through? I survey my relationships…are they God-centered or self-centered…is God removing or adding friends? So you begin by looking at circumstances and asking the question… Am I to go this way?

Second: As God is sovereign in all things: circumstances and events-- He is also sovereign in the details. So I begin to look at what am I learning in His Word? What am I reading? Where am I studying? Is God warning me there? Encouraging? Comforting? Telling me to wait? In God’s purposeful sovereignty, He will have me where I need to be in His Word so I am hearing from Him. It is no coincidence that you maybe in a chapter in Scripture which speaks right to you heart. That is God speaking through His word to you. His Word is always relevant and always a revelation.

Third: Because of His sovereignty, I can look at circumstances and gain clarity through studying His Word. And this is where the third “lighthouse” goes. This last “lighthouse” is a peace that surpasses all understanding. Because I know His sovereignty and because His Word is affirming what I see or am experiencing, I have peace that is not dependent on anything physical…just simply in knowing He is guiding me. That peace can not be “mustered-up” or “brought-on” by anything or anyone…it is the peace of God Himself drawing us near to Him. It is the peace that says…”I am in control…do not be anxious for anything”

A word of caution here for all of us…we do have an adversary that can influence circumstances and our own emotions can often deceive us. We need to be careful that all three are present…and the most important “lighthouse” is the Word of God. If we are moved only by circumstances and a temporal peace that is not enough to move confidently. It is only by God’s Grace that we don’t get in bigger trouble! But when we line up the three: Sovereign circumstances, His Word and the peace that surpasses all circumstances, we can move confidently and joyously! God desires for His own to live in a joyous manner…seeking Him.

I hope that encourages you…more on that tomorrow.

No comments: