Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Prayer by John Newton

John Newton is best known for writting one of our most beloved Hymns: "Amazing Grace". There have been countless tears shed while singing this great hymn...I have cried some of those tears. How can someone write such God-glorifying words? How is it possible to capture so much of God in one small hymn? I would have to say the heart of this man is contantly meditating and enjoying God Himself.
I found this prayer recently, and thought here is another insight into this man's heart...his total dependance on God. If this is what he earnestly prayed...then no wonder such praise came from him. It isn't until we get to the end of ourselves that we can see the majesty of God. I believe it is John Piper who said, "God is most satisfied in us when we are most satisfied in Him"


“I asked the Lord that I might grow
in faith and love and every grace;
might more of his salvation know,
and seek, more earnestly, his face.
I thought that in some favoured hour
at once he’d answer my request;
and by his love’s constraining power,
subdue my sins and give me rest.
Instead of this, he made me feel
the hidden evils of my heart,
and let the angry powers of hell
assault my soul in ev’ry part.
‘Lord, why is this?’ I trembling cried,
‘Wilt thou pursue thy worm to death?;
‘Tis in this way’ the Lord replied,
‘I answer prayer for grace and faith.
These inward trials I employ
from self and pride to set thee free,
And break thy schemes of earthly joy,
‘That thou may’st seek thy ALL in me!”
-- John Newton

No comments: