Thursday, December 6, 2007

The baby all wrapped up...

It has been amazing looking at the birth of Christ these past weeks. I have learned so much and really searched myself to find out if I had worldly perceptions of Christmas and if I did where they robbing the true joy...and I have to say I did. I love Christmas...I love the decorations, the excitement, the gift giving and carols. But if those things steal any praise away from the truth of Christmas it is robbing Christ of His due worship and praise. I have to confess that was happening to me. How about you? Has this look at the baby in the manger caused you to look at Christmas different? And even more importantly, what change has it caused?
For me I am overwhelmed at Christ's humility...I must also humble myself. It has also caused me to ask myself "Am I teaching that to my kids?" Am I letting them know how precious the Christ baby is? How can I steer their thinking away from "What can I get for Christmas?" to "What can I give for Christmas?".
Something else I have considered...Am I also seeing those three reactions to the birth of our Savior in my family? My neighborhood?
If so, how can I give them the Truth? I am praying how to do that.
If you have any suggestions as how to share or enjoy the Truth of Christmas, would you let me know?

Here are some suggestions I thought of...

1) Have a "Birthday for Jesus" party and invite neighborhood kids.
2) A Christmas card that just does not say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" but has a verse that exalts the birth of Christ.
3) Read the Gospel of Matthew Chapters 1 and 2 after dinner with the kids. And next week the Gospel of Luke also Chapters 1 and 2.
4) Give in secret...maybe go to an single parent and visit. After make a list of gifts for her and her children. Have your kids shop and then on Christmas Eve leave the gifts at her front door with a note saying "Jesus the Truth of Christmas is the greatest gift" ...Maybe leave a new Bible with a bookmark on the verses...
5) You could also serve Christmas lunch at a homeless shelter then go home and do yours.
6) Invite friends who might not have heard the Gospels and share the meaning of His birth.
7) Have our children write their very own Gospel message. Have them write down what they know of Jesus' birth and what it truly means. Maybe include them in your Christmas cards for family members who are lost.

Well, those are just some ideas to get us started. Let me know your thoughts...
Janet

No comments: