Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Obeying God's standard

Ever wonder as you are seeking God's direction "Lord, if you could just let me know...I will do as you show" A few months ago I was sensing that God was moving my life into a "new" phase. My youngest was no longer in elementary school, my eldest was in her third year of college and my Kaity was going to start college. Needless to say, as many of us have transitioned from one phase of schooling to another, we get "growing pangs" from a mom's perspective. Letting go is always difficult...but yet you would not have it any other way.

As I contemplated all these changes, I knew my time would be freed up. I confess, I have a tendency to love fun...I love getting up with no demands to the day and just letting either David or friends "take me away!". But I also know that this is a very selfish and self-serving, so I needed to "know" what to do with my time.

As I prayed God began to show me in His Word that time is not mine but His. He is the creator of it...He ordains the days and He desires for us to "make disciples". My heart was preparing for what He had, and just as He prepared He provided an avenue in which to serve and honor Him. There were lots of choices...which one to choose was a bit hard but ultimately it lead to this blog and our "Girl's Book Club" ...now He has moved again. I am excited where He has lead me and His confirmation continues.

I love what Mr. Chapel says in this chapter... "Only through obedience can we know God's will---and pray for it" It is true...we can not predict the future. We live in obedience to God's revealed Word and often there can be choices within these parameters.

The question to ask is "What does God's revealed Word tell us about what He desires for us?" Scripture tells us "it is God's will that you be sanctified." 1 Thess 4:3. God's revealed Word tells us He wants us to be like His son, Jesus. So because God's will is clearly stated in Scripture we can make choices and decisions based on "does this provide an environment for me to grow in Christ-likeness?" If the answer is "Yes" then we can move with confidence that it is God's will. God does not increase our holiness in any other way than through obedience and dependence on Him.

Mr Chapell puts it this way..."Prayers for our sanctification ask God to strengthen our understanding of the requirements given in His Word---and to give us the strength to do them."

He goes on to say, " We often ask God to guide us between alternatives that seem equally righteous. If no options clearly oppose Scripture, how do we determine God's will? First do not claim anything you do not know. If God has not addressed the issue in the Bible, do not pretend He has. Only God's standards have moral authority--the right to determine right and wrong....Christians usurp the Bible's authority when they force varying moral values into legitimate options the Lord provides. "

Knowing God's clear teachings of what He accepts and rejects provide "fence-posts" that guide us through God's will. "The first problem with labeling right or wrong that which the Bible does not, is the creation of choice paralysis. The fear that some choice might be wrong lends some people never to make a choice....the second problem with assigning moral status to legitimate options is ingratitude for multiple blessings. " emphasis mine.

He goes on to illustrate: "If we saw our choices like apples in a basket, we would not worry that the selection of one of those apples was good and all the other apples were evil. We would simply be glad we had so many apples to choose from. In the same way, it's better to rejoice that God gives the blessing of multiple right choices than to condemn any as evil without the warrant of God's Word."

I love that...if we are living under the clear guidance, direction and teaching of God's Word, we are free to make choices that will honor Him. As long as we operate with the wisdom that His Word provides, we do not need to fear operating outside of His will. We can be grateful for the many choices He gives...for the blessings. When I view my decisions that way, I know He will order the events of my life, even when I don't immediately see results, I know that all will work for my good because my heavenly Father will accomplish His will in me. How about you?

No comments: