Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Praying in the Spirit

Chapter Four of Bryan Chapell's book "Praying Backwards" begins with a quote from C.S. Lewis's "The Magician's Nephew". In this part of the story Aslan, the lion, sends the two children on a mission and as they soon discover they have no food. Troubled, the children ask why didn't someone arrange for their meals? One of them answers "I'm sure Aslan would have, if you'd asked him." Then another child responds "Wouldn't he know without being asked?" The final thought is that they have no doubt that Aslon would know, but more importantly, he likes to be asked.
From this illustration, Mr. Chapell moves to reminds us that yes God is Sovereign and He knows our needs before we ask. But He delights in our asking. Yet the question that remains is, if God knows our needs before we ask, then is prayer a wasted effort?

How do we reconcile God's sovereignty in providing what is best and our petitions for what we believe to be best?

As Christians, we have prayer as a means to draw near God the Father and deepen our love and trust for Him. We have been looking at prayer as a way to discover God...glorify God. Prayer that is focused on God's work in us not so much as how we want Him to work for us.

But how can we pray confidently and purposefully as we draw near to God and seek His will for us? In Luke 11:11-13 Jesus speaks about the Father's ultimate goodness which is to give his children the Holy Spirit. We have been given a great gift...a good gift, in the sense that it is perfect and exactly what we need...the Holy Spirit.
"When we pray, Paul says, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words can not express and in accordance with God's will. These two vital ministries of the Holy Spirit make our prayers the most powerful force on earth"

The Holy Spirit who groans for our new life:
Have you ever fervently prayed for someone? There are times when friends and loved ones will ask me to pray for them. They are facing a difficult time and need prayer support. I will pray for them fervently and expectantly, but I can not know for sure what is in God's mind for them through that particular situation. I have a limited view and limited energy. Yet, the Holy Spirit prays for us with "groans" and prays in accordance with the purposes of God because He knows God's mind. That is an astounding thought!

Mr. Chapell writes: "Paul writes that the Spirit also groans, interceding for the Lord's purposes in our lives. With more fervor than we can express and with the urgency of a mother in childbirth, the Spirit cries before the Throne of Grace, "Holy God, bless your people. God of creation, bend the world to your glorious purposes for those seeking you. Heavenly Father, work all things together for your children's good.
The Spirit cries with the agonies of one birthing new life, because new life is being formed---a new world order....The Spirit becomes Christ's instrument of intersession for us. He pleads for God to order the temporal world for our eternal good. " (emphasis mine)

Can you and I rest in the understanding that we have the Holy Spirit who intercedes for us with such intensity that His groans and petitions become an instrument God uses to bring good out of all situations?
Quoted in the book is beloved Pastor, James Montgomery Boice. Dr. Boice addressed his congregation almost 8 years ago to inform them that he was diagnosed with cancer. Mr. Chapell quotes a very poignant part of his last words to his church:
"When things like this come into our lives, they are not accidental. It's not as if God somehow forgot what was going on, and something bad slipped by...God does everything according to His will... But what I've been impressed with most is something in addition to that. It's possible, isn't it, to conceive of God as sovereign and yet indifferent? God's in charge, but He does not care. BUT it's not that. God is not only the one who is in charge, God is also good. Everything he does is good....If God does something in your life, would you change it? If you'd change, you'd make it worse. It would not be as good. " (emphasis mine)

It is hard for me to get my heart around that last sentence...even when I am in the midst of a difficult situation. Even when I am suffering or hurting...if I were to change any of it, I would make it worse. It would not be as good. God is good...therefore all He does is good...and the Holy Spirit prays in our behalf that we would see the goodness. Today, I pray you see God's goodness in the midst of your trial...His goodness through the birthing pains.

3 comments:

cee cee said...

I so loved Chapter 4 of our book. The idea of the HS groaning on my behalf has given new life and boldness to my prayers. It has also increased my faith and decreased my doubt as I pray; knowing that the HS is making my prayers perfect, and God is faithfully answering them with what is best for me. WOW! Truly new insight into the power of the HS in the believer.

Janet said...

I loved Chapter 4 also! So much to take in and Praise God for His goodness! More on Chapter 4 tomorrow!

Kim said...

I have not joined the book club but I am reading the posts every day. I enjoy the perspective of God's will and not wanting it to change it even through trials. Trials are where I've seen God the most in my life. I am reminded of the great song on the radio now- "Count it ALL joy" by Shannon Wexelberg. I turn it up loud and praise Him for all he has brought me through!